Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tom Green Is Alive And Twittering

The comedian has gotten himself into a Twitter war with another Tom Green, a Toronto professor of of interactive multimedia at Humber College.

The story starts a year ago when the funny man had been pushing for the Twitter handle @TomGreen and angered the owner, the other Green. The Twitterverse exploded but ultimately died down, until, that is, Green wound up on The Opie and Anthony Show last month.

The hosts had asked Green who had the handle since he was using @TomGreenLive. During the radio show Green said, "I don't want to get into it too much because he gets real mad. I sometimes wonder if my following would grow slightly quicker if I just had the @TomGreen, because people can't find me."

This was followed by a number of inappropriate, profanity-laced tweets that were sent to the professor's account, which Opie and Anthony read on air.

The professor took to Google+ after his account was bombarded and wrote, "At about 10:00 am, noticing a ton of mentions on Twitter, I was aghast to discover that I was being bullied by people demanding I give up my Twitter handle." His university extension number was also posted, forcing Green to contact the Dean to have his extension on the College phone system dropped.

He then went onto Twitter and expressed his thoughts on his namesake. "Not sure why a washed up comedian @tomgreenlive needs to use me to to get noticed. Rather pathetic exercise in futility. #RealTomGreen." He requested that Green get his fans to leave him alone and the comic complied, writing, "Last tweet on this issue. I do not want to be @tomgreen because I am happy being @tomgreenlive — Stop bothering @tomgreen please. #Humber."

Green followed that by offering to come to the professor's class and also to take him out for a steak dinner. The professor's final tweet: "We do need to get this behind us. Steak dinner with plastic knoives [sic] sounds good."

No comments: